Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Is this necessary?

Do you remember this picture from 2007? It is one of my favorites and I use it on my desktop. I thought of it today when I saw what modern forestry management does to our wonderful forests. In a few hours time a so called "harvester" can make the most peaceful and untouched old forest into something resembling a battle field that has been bombarded with heavy artillery.

I understand that the old days of strong men in boots and helmets, cutting down carefully selected trees have been replaced with huge machines that cut down and off everything that comes in their way in a matter of minutes. But still, is it necessary to rampage and destroy as much as they do now? Hundreds and thousands of square meters are left like enormous wounds for months and sometimes years before they are replanted or wild, green bushes and flowers have covered the ground.



These are not “before” and “after” pictures from exactly the same place but they give you a good illustration of what I mean.

No comments: