Saturday, September 11, 2021

Short-toed treecreeper

As long as I can remember, I have been told and believed that the nuthatch is the only bird in Sweden that can go head first down a tree trunk. I was therefore surprised and excited when I saw a short-toed treecreeper going both up and down with its head first! 


It is amazing how difficult it is to spot it thanks to its colours that are almost identical to the bark of most trees.

 Someone hinted that I might just have turned the picture upside-down to create the impression that the bird is going head first down. First, I would never ever do anything like that and secondly, I am just as surprised as the rest of the area of Ornithology, but unfortunately I have no picture of the whole tree, but the picture below shows a bit more of the environment and to me, it is obvious that the tree creeper is going down head first!



1 comment:

janpalo said...

Heads up and feet down is preferable for human beeings. But learn from birds is intelligent!