Saturday, June 27, 2009

Good or bad news ????


As you all know, Svångemåla is in the middle of the deep forests of Småland and Sweden. Very little traffic passes my small cottage on the gravel road that even my GPS feels it is necessary to warn me about by stating that “ The destination is not at an tarmac road”. The only regular traffic is a few commuters living in the nearby small villages Grötsjö and Skärvsjö and the milk and garbage trucks. A few times really big timber lorries have to maneuverer through the tight corners around my house and this has caused some concern among the farmers whose timber the lorries are carrying. The suggestion is, therefore, that the road next to my house must be straightened and re-directed as the straight line indicated on the map. In reality, it will not be that straight but you get the idea behind the change. The advantage, from my point of view, is that my view of “The Field” will be better since a lot of smaller trees and bushes will be cleared but on the same time, the road will now take away a part of “The Field” and it will also pass my house on “the wrong” side. All involved have been very cooperative and understanding of my concerns and since the new road will not in any way encroach on my small plot, I cannot really object. But still, it will be a large change in what is “my space” on earth and I am not entirely happy about it.

If all administrative and financial issues have been solved, the work will start in early August and I promise to keep you informed since this is one of the major events in Svångemåla during the last 20 years!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am wondering about the potential future value of the "old" section of road. Can it be developed to compensate for the minor loss of land within The Field? Perhaps a small levie that can be used to establish a pond near your house for example?

Bear said...

Good idea but both The Field and the old road is, as far as I know, the property of the farmer who's land surrounds my plot. And he will not easily give anything away. The idea to dig a pond between my plot and the new road is still a possibility but a far fetched one since the project, in which it was a part, seems to have come to a standstill although we are still waiting for a final decision. Thanks for reminding me to talk to my neighbor about it again!

Anonymous said...

Sources of water, such as a pond or water tank, is the key to your continued enjoyment of all wildlife and bird life that inhabit your region. All creatures, big and small, will visit you with renewed enthusiasm if they can share a drink with you at sundown. Such a project must be technically possible in that holy part of the planet you call home.

As a sideline, might the old road surface be used as the foundation for a wind generator or solar panels? We are moving into the era of green technologies in a big way...

Bear said...

The old road is just a gravel road and will be bush in a few years time if not used. Part of it will continue to be my access road. The little stream, that would feed a pond, might be widened a bit to allow more animals to use it. The wild pigs use it already as do the badgers and the moose.