Friday, June 11, 2021

The Wagtail family

The wagtail is, as you know, one of my absolute favorite birds. It looks good, is friendly towards other birds, as far as I know and is keen on being close when we are out in the garden. It has even befriended our grass cutting robot and follows it around.

 

This summer alone I have probably about two, three hundred pictures of the couple that has its nest under one of the roof tiles. We think that it is the same couple that has stayed there several years now.

 


Yesterday I noticed that one of the birds was unusually excited and it took me only a few minutes to find out why. One of the newborns had landed on the ground and was unable to get up in the nest again. It sat helpless in a corner behind a small stone and called out for food and attention. I took a couple of pictures and moved quickly away. A couple of hours later it was gone and I hope it was not a predator of some sort that had found it.


The white "object" in front of the little bird is a mouse cranium!




No comments: