Monday, April 30, 2018

Very angry bird! ?

The common chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) is very common in Svångemåla but I have not been able to take a picture of it until now. It sings like a real opera star!



The European pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca) has been a favorite of mine until now. It looks innocent but I think it is a real bully!



In a recent post you could see a happy Great Tit settling in in this bird house but suddenly a Flycatcher has moved in. I just thought this is the way nature is until I saw that the Great Tit had moved to another bird house not far away.


Just look at its pose!  The winner takes it all or I am the king!



The Great Tit was working hard to build a new home and struggle to get the "mattress" through the door...


but look carefully...it looks a bit odd doesn't it ? The head is kind of flat. Lite a bird "neanderthal".


When I managed to get a closer look I saw that part of its head had been removed. I don't now, but I seriously suspect that that it is the Flycatcher who has done the damage!!  I ask all experts out there, is it possible that one small bird can do such harm to another bird?? I do know that Flycatchers are known to be aggressive but to do something like this ? Sad, very sad!


No comments: